Re: [RFC/RFT] Raw access to serio ports (2/2)

From: Sau Dan Lee
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 04:52:14 EST

>>>>> "Dmitry" == Dmitry Torokhov <dtor_core@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Dmitry> +static unsigned int i8042_aux_raw[4];

So, only AUX ports can be directly accessed? No direct access to
keyboard port? Why?

The SERIO_USERDEV patch does allow direct access to the PC AT
keyboard, and it did help me locate the SysRq problem that I reported
in other postings. i.e. it IS useful to be able to access the
keyboard port directly.

Dmitry> The driver will happily co-exist with psmouse and atkbd
Dmitry> loaded as they ignore SERIO_8042_RAW ports, so it is
Dmitry> possible to have one AUX port in raw mode and other in
Dmitry> standard 2.6 mode.

1) there is no RAW access to the keyboard port;

2) I hate this black magic, in which the input "devices"
(i.e. drivers) kidnap the serio ports they like according to the
port type SERIO_8042_RAW, etc. That's a kind of hardcoding the
binding between ports and drivers.

Isn't it better to leave the AUX ports as SERIO_8042, and let the user
dynamically change this port<-->driver binding? Then, we don't even
need that ugly "i8042.raw" boot parameter or i8042_aux_raw option.
The user can decide which ports are connected to your serio_raw
driver, and which ports are connected to psmouse.ko. That would also
allow multiple drivers driving the ports of the same type.

--
Sau Dan LEE ???(Big5) ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx