Re: 2.6.x partition breakage and dual booting

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 10:04:09 EST

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:02:23AM -0400, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> Andries Brouwer <Andries.Brouwer@xxxxxx> writes:
> > Please, now that this is still unused, fix your names and/or
> > your code. Names could be legacy_max_head (etc.) if you want
> > to keep the values, or otherwise add 1 to the values.
>
> Well, the EDD module belongs to Matt Domsch. I only contributed the
> "legacy_*" code and names.
>
> If it is OK with Matt, I agree we should rename legacy_heads to
> legacy_max_head and legacy_sectors to legacy_sectors_per_track. I
> doubt anybody other than myself is using these yet anyway.

Yes, please submit a patch now to Andrew, cc: me and linux-kernel at
least. I've confirmed that our internal tools are not using these
fields yet.

> > Also - people will try to match the 0x7280b80 for int13_dev83 with
> > the 120064896 sectors that dmesg or hdparm -g reports for /dev/hdf.
> > Life would be easier with values given in decimal, as they are
> > everywhere else.
>
> I used hex for legacy_* because that is what all the other fields
> already used. It was not my decision, and I have no opinion either
> way. Convince Matt.

Whatever, scanf works with either representation. Patrick, if you're
changing the above, feel free to submit a second patch to switch these
all to %u instead.

Thanks,
Matt

--