Re: Strange DMA-errors and system hang with SMART (was: ...andsystem hang with Promise 20268)

From: Sebastian
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 14:04:10 EST

Am So, den 23.05.2004 schrieb Bruce Allen um 14:46:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. My usual googling of smartmontools
> didn't turn this up because you changed the subject line and started a new
> thread.

Sorry for my late reply, too. I had been out of country and away from
Internet.

> I hadn't realized until now that the drive is an IBM GXP60.
>
> smartctl is *supposed* to print a warning message for these drives, to
> tell users to look at http://www.geocities.com/dtla_update/index.html#rel
> for pointers to updated firmware for this drive! What firmware version do
> you have?

Yes, the warning is there. However, there never had been a problem with
it for years until I upgraded the kernel. I probably should have paid
more attention to that warning... The problem is that most of the links
are broken on the page that you refer to.

I am pretty sure now that the DMA-error is related to smart as the
server run without problems for a couple of weeks until someone started
smartd again by mistake. Three days later the box froze again just after
1 am.

> Meanwhile, what firmware version do you have? I suggest you upgrade it --
> this may fix the problem. The final firmware with the SMART fixes seems
> to be A46A.

ER4OA44A

Thanks for the infos,

Sebastian