Re: [announce] [patch] NX (No eXecute) support for x86,2.6.7-rc2-bk2

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 16:48:34 EST

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:50:25 +0200
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> we'd like to announce the availability of the following kernel patch:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/nx-patches/nx-2.6.7-rc2-bk2-AE

I think you still have the change_page_attr() bug that I so far
didn't manage to fix on x86-64 properly neither (I had one patch, but
it caused mysterious other failures). Currently x86-64 has a nasty
partly broken workaround for this only that can cause illegal aliases.

The bug is when change_page_attr() splits a kernel text page
and reverts it back then the NX bit gets set on the kernel
text page. This happens when AGP allocates a page that lies
within 2MB of the kernel mapping.

-Andi