Re: [RFC] Changing SysRq - show registers handling

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 16:08:52 EST

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 09:44:01AM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 3. Juni 2004 09:27 schrieb Dmitry Torokhov:
> > I don't like the requirement of SysRq request processing being in hard
> > interrupt handler - that excludes uinput-generated events and precludes
> > moving keyboard handling to a tasklet for example.
>
> SysRq should work even if bottom halfs don't.

Indeed; one of the times when SysRq-p is used in the field is when the
machine is completely wedged. Sometimes it's the only way to figure
out where the machine is wedged. It would be unfortunate if the
number of cases (when the kernel is four feet in the air and
twitching) where SysRq worked decreases as a result of the proposed
change.

- Ted