Re: Forcedeth and vesa

From: Andrew de Quincey
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 09:43:26 EST

On Friday 04 Jun 2004 15:25, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [foner: I included you in the CC because your problem seems similar.]
>
> smolny@xxxxx wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Sorry if you get this post by mistake. I found your address googling
> > for "forcedeth vesa".
>
> Well, you reached the right person.
>
> > When i use forcedeth module, both with 2.4.26 and 2.6.6 kernels, i
> > can't access vesa with mplayer. Just loading the module doesn't
> > cause the problem, only after i configure the net with ifconfig i
> > can't use vesa.
>
> This is interesting. Does the problem persist if you ifdown the interface?
>
> > If i use nvnet NVidia driver with 2.4.26, everything goes fine (no
> > nvnet for 2.6.x kernels).
>
> That is even more interesting. So the bug affects forcedeth, but not
> nvnet. Hmmm. We'll have to review the code again.
>
> > It's an EPOX 8RDA+ motherboard.
>
> Foner: Do you see similarities between your problem and this one?
>
> Janusz, Foner: Are you willing to test forcedeth with a few dozen
> iterations of
> patch, recompile, install, power down, power up and test again?
>
> I would send you patches to binary search the offending code.

This is rather convenient. I have an Epox 8RDA+ as well. What video card are
you using in that box?

I'll install mplayer and see if I can replicate (I have an ATI 9800 Pro, but I
can easily stuff a number of nvidia cards in there to check).

If you're using an ATI or Nvidia card, are you using the proprietary or
opensource drivers?