Re: [announce] [patch] NX (No eXecute) support for x86,2.6.7-rc2-bk2

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 12:40:34 EST

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:40:32 +0100
Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:37:54PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Fedora makes the heap non executable too; it only broke X which has it's own
> > shared library loader (which btw had all the right mprotects in place, just
> > ifdef'd for freebsd, ia64 and a few other architectures that default to
> > non-executable heap, so we just added x86(-64) to that)
>
> Maybe you should just call mprotect always to be safe? :) OTOH I guess
> the world would end if a X release had less ifdefs than the previous one..

If you do that please also fix the X server to always use the /proc/bus/pci/*
access methods too instead of banging on 0xcf8 directly. The current
method is racing with the kernel and can actually cause hard disk corruption
on x86-64 machines that use the IOMMU (IOMMU flush uses pci config space
access too)

-Andi