Re: 2.6.7-rc1 breaks forcedeth

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 18:51:37 EST

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, Luis Miguel García Mancebo wrote:

> I have not been able to make my ethernet card to work in post-2.6.6 kernels.
> This is a nforce2 motherboard, and as Jeff pointed, nothing has changed in
> the driver (forcedeth), and the problem could be acpi or routing in the
> kernel. In fact, I have a "Disabling IRQ #11" message. Here is the dmesg:
>
> P.S.: I have tested noapic, acpi=off, pci=noapic. But this doesn't fix
> nothing.

Can you do a "diff" between the dmesg output of a working kernel, and a
nonworking one? Also, please do the same with /proc/interrupts...

It sounds like your ethernet card is on irq11 (sharing it with USB), but
that something has incorrectly decided that it must be somewhere else and
then when the ethernet irq happens, it continually screams on irq11 until
the kernel decides that it has to shut it up. At which point both ethernet
and USB is dead (the former because it is on the wrong interrupt, the
latter because the kernel had to shut up the irq that it was sharing in
order to avoid endless irqs).

Linus