Re: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

From: Mike McCormack
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 03:07:29 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

if you have a need for a special virtual memory layout please use your
own binary loader as I already suggested earlier in the thread, i.e.
binfmt_pecoff.

We are using our own user space loader now, but a kernel space loader is neither portable or practical.

The Wine project is used by many people and companies for both comercial and non-comercial purposes. In the spirit of cooperation, it would be nice if somebody let us know when they're going to make a change that is going to break Wine, and provide a way for us to workaround that change, or even better maintain real binary compatability...

It seems Linus's kernel does that quite well, but some vendors seem not to care too much about breaking Wine.

Mike