Re: keyboard problem with 2.6.6

From: Sau Dan Lee
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 04:39:04 EST

>> You don't tell any kernel about that... it is the bootloader
>> you are talking to. And that one may very well have integrated
>> kbd support.

Valdis> So GRUB knows about keyboards, lets you type in the
Valdis> "init=/bin/bash", it loads the kernel, the kernel launches
Valdis> init, /bin/bash gets loaded

If init can launch /bin/bash (actually, it lauches getty in most
setups), why can't it start the userland keyboard driver daemon?

Back in the old days before the introduction of /etc/rc.d/, every
daemon was started from by init.

Valdis> - and /bin/bash can't talk to the keyboard because the
Valdis> userspace handler hasn't happened.

As soon as the daemon is running, /bin/bash can talk to the keyboard.
There is not much concurrency problems here. The current input system
makes it possible for /bin/bash to start opening the keyboard and
waiting for input before the userspace handler is ready.

Valdis> At that point you're stuck...

I can't see how stuck it is. And if you fear that the userland
keyboard driver would crash (maybe due to bugs), use the 'respawn'
option in /etc/inittab.

--
Sau Dan LEE ???(Big5) ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx