BUG in ht-aware scheduler/nice in 2.6.7-rc2 on dual xeon

From: bert hubert
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 03:58:12 EST

Con, Ingo, List,

I'm overjoyed with decent ht-aware scheduling in 2.6.7-rc2 and it does
mostly the right thing. However, the 'nice' work by Con shows some slight
problems.

Please find attached program 'eat-time.cc'. Make sure not to compile it with
-O which might confuse things as this program basically does nothing.

Run it without arguments to determine the speed of 1 cpu, it outputs a
number (megaloops/second). Then start it with that number as a parameter:

Sample:

$ ./eat-time
592
$ ./eat-time 592
99%
99%
100%
etc

Now starting four of these at the same time gives the desired result:

$ ./eat-time 592 & ./eat-time 592 & ./eat-time 592 & ./eat-time 592
50%
50%
50%
50%
etc

This however:

$ ./eat-time 592 & ./eat-time 592 &
100%
99%
In another xterm:
$ nice -n +19 ./eat-time 592 & nice -n +19 ./eat-time 592
5%
5%
5%

Fails sometimes, with all processes getting 50%. The above 'screenshot' is
from the working and expected situation, which happens most of the time.

When it goes wrong, top shows me that Cpu0 and Cpu1 are 100% user, while
Cpu2 and Cpu3 are both 100% nice. The niced processes show up in top as
PRiority 39, the unniced ones (NI = 0) as PR 25.

I've also seen it that Cpu2 and Cpu3 are 100% busy, and 0 and 1 are 100%
nice.

I'd say this situation happens once every 5 or 8 invocations, and perhaps
somewhat more when first starting the niced processes.

Perhaps related, when running the above 'nice -n +19' line on its own, I see
all CPUs getting load over time, the two processes are wandering. After a
while they settle down, only to go on wandering again some time later, also
touching configurations where a physical cpu suddenly hosts two processes.

Without nice, two processes get firmly pegged to different physical CPUs.

Anything I can do to help resolve this, just yell.

Thanks!

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://lartc.org Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO