Re: PATCH: ethtool power manglement hooks

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 13:22:08 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
Several ethernet drivers have been broken by the ethtool support because
the ioctl code used to power the interface up and down as needed. Rather
than add this to each driver call Jeff Garzik suggested we add hooks
for before/after ethtool processing.

This patch implements them which makes fixing the PM stuff easier,
as the epic100 patch to follow will show. It also cleans up the via-velocity driver pm/ethtool logic a great deal. As per Jeff's
request the before handler is allowed to fail the operation.

Thanks A.

BTW, if you have a free moment, I don't think all your comments from your months-ago review of net/core/ethtool.c were addressed. A re-review would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'm hunting around for your original review.

Jeff