Re: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

From: Mike McCormack
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 05:58:11 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

I did not investigate this, but others who did think that it is not
possible to create a segment that is reserve only so that does not
unnecessarily consume virtual memory. Apparently ELF allows it, but
Linux doesn't.

what do you mean by "Linux doesn't"?

Apparently Linux will back all segments by swap space, even if they're marked as non-accessable. Maybe I was told the wrong thing? Or maybe the it's just difficult to create such a segment, as Jukub was saying?

In any case, the solution we have now reserves exactly the amount of memory that is needed. If we were to use a fixed size segment, we would be reserving too much memory most of the time, and preventing shared libraries being loaded at their prefered addresses.

Mike