Re: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

From: John Reiser
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 20:42:52 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Mike McCormack <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I did not investigate this, but others who did think that it is not
possible to create a segment that is reserve only so that does not
unnecessarily consume virtual memory. Apparently ELF allows it, but
Linux doesn't.

what do you mean by "Linux doesn't"?

Current fs/binfmt_elf.c creates at most one ".bss" area, regardless of
how many PT_LOAD have .p_filesz < .p_memsz. The .bss area always
has PROT_WRITE|PROT_READ page protection, regardless of .p_flags.
Thus "Linux doesn't" do as faithful a job as it could with ELF.

I submitted "elfdiet" and "bssprot" patches a couple months ago
to address these issues. The bssprot patch appeared briefly in -mm
for 2.6.[56], but was dropped because of ARCH pain, particularly
with the sn2 variant of ia64. The hardware is scarce, and the topic
was not sufficiently interesting for those with access to such a box.