Re: [RFC] ethtool semantics

From: James H. Cloos Jr.
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 19:03:08 EST

>>>>> "Bill" == Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> writes:

Bill> It does sometimes matter, because even these days we sometimes
Bill> see a case where a brand name switch (like Cisco) and a brand
Bill> name card (Intel, 3COM) negotiate but just don't "work right"
Bill> later.

I just had this happen this week. Both intel and broadcom cards
negatiated 100/full with the cisco switch, but failed to work
properly. ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
improved performance from OTOO 15% of capacity to wire speed.

-JimC