Re: Finding user/kernel pointer bugs [no html]

From: Robert T. Johnson
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 23:49:20 EST

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 21:10, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Robert T. Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Despite that, I found numerous bugs in seven drivers. Only one of these
> > drivers had any __user annotations, so sparse isn't able to provide any
> > meaningful results on these source files yet. Even worse, sparse missed
> > bugs in drivers/usb/core/devio.c:proc_control() even though that
> > function has been annotated (this is not the first time cqual has found
> > bugs in code audited by sparse).
>
> Hmm.. That code has not been sparse-cleaned up, and as of today sparse
> gives 34 lines of warnings for that file. I assume the two you refer to is
>
> drivers/usb/core/devio.c:561:40: warning: cast removes address space of expression
> drivers/usb/core/devio.c:581:39: warning: cast removes address space of expression
>
> and I assume those are the ones your thing finds too?
>
> So I wanted to point out that sparse hasn't missed anything. It's just
> that the USB people haven't fixed the things it has found yet ;)

Sorry about that mistake. I see now that the data field has a __user
annotation.

> > I didn't write any annotations in any
> > driver files -- just a few header files under include. I've already
> > submitted patches to fix these bugs. This is 1 1/2 days work, with
> > _very_ incomplete annotations.
>
> And part of the reason I much prefer the sparse approach of doing proper C
> types is that it's (a) the C way and (b) it documents what is up.
>
> What we do NOT want to have is to continue with these "implied rules".
> That's what caused the bugs in the first place. I really want the user
> pointers to be _explicit_, because not only does that mean that a stupid
> tool can figure it out with purely "local" knowledge, but more
> importantly, it means that a _programmer_ can figure it out with purely
> local knowledge.
>
> Now, I'm obviously biased, and hey, two tools are better than one. I just
> wanted to point out that your claim that "sparse missed bugs" just isn't
> true. What _is_ true is that there is quite a bit of non-fixed code out
> there.

I agree that documenting interfaces is good. Just because the tool can
infer things automatically doesn't mean they can't also be annotated --
it just means you can get results sooner. I also understand if you just
want to do it the C way.

QUESTION: Do you find it's difficult to figure out which fields of
structures should be declared __user? One feature you might find useful
to add to sparse is the following:

If a structure pointer is __user, but it has some pointer fields that
aren't declared __user, there's a good chance that there's a missing
annotation or something. This is a simplified version of a rule in
cqual, but I think you might be able to implement it purely locally in
sparse. It'd be a bit of a hack, but it might help you discover missing
annotations sooner. Without this, the following code passes sparse w/o
error:

struct foo { char __kernel * p; };
void func (struct foo __user * x)
{