Re: Finding user/kernel pointer bugs [no html]

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 09:57:19 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

What we do NOT want to have is to continue with these "implied rules". That's what caused the bugs in the first place. I really want the user pointers to be _explicit_, because not only does that mean that a stupid tool can figure it out with purely "local" knowledge, but more importantly, it means that a _programmer_ can figure it out with purely local knowledge.

Are user pointers actual pointers? That's much too tempting to dereference.

If you really want to force user space accesses to follow certain rules, make them longs or structs (or at least void *) (depending on architecture) so that only the proper user-space-access functions can interpret them.

Now, if this "handle" corresponds directly to a user space pointer, someone might cast it and dereference it, but that would be easy to detect, and such patches would be easy to reject.

Bad idea?