Re: random fs corruption with iriver ihp-120, usb2, vfat and 2.6.5

From: Rob Shakir
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 13:34:13 EST

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 05:25:17AM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:

> I guess I'm seeing the same corruption as reported in this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg10327.html
>
> If I copy large files to this device and then read it back, I always
> get different md5sums. And random filesystem corruption.

I've experienced this problem too, do you find that the device works almost
perfectly if the data is tranferred in smaller blocks?

> I've learned that the drive in this device, a Toshiba MK2004GAL is
> connected directly to the usb2.0 via a cypress CY7C68310:
> http://www.cypress.com/products/datasheet.cfm?partnum=CY7C68310

I tried to find out some information from iRiver before bug reporting this, I
didn't know whether the bug was specifically with my device. However, I found
the tech support department to be fairly atrocious.

Now that I know it's not something that's device centred I may try taking a look
at the bug (although I'm not experienced at all in this area of the kernel).

~rob