Re: [ANNOUNCE] high-res-timers patches for 2.6.6

From: George Anzinger
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 19:04:05 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 03:49, Geoff Levand wrote:

Available at http://tree.celinuxforum.org/pubwiki/moin.cgi/CELinux_5fPatchArchive

For those interested, the set of three patches provide POSIX high-res timer support for linux-2.6.6. The core and i386 patches are updates of George Anzinger's hrtimers-2.6.5-1.0.patch available on SourceForge <http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/>. The ppc32 port is not available on SourceForge yet.

My first impression is that it has WAAAAAAAAAAAY too many ifdefs. I
would strongly suggest to not make this a config option and just
mandatory, it's a core feature that has no point in being optional. If
you accept that, the code also becomes a *LOT* cleaner.

Yes, but... The main problem is that this would break all the archs that don't have the needed arch dependent code yet. By making the high-res part depend on the arch config turning on a config, we don't break the archs and they can sign up as they get their act together.

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx