Re: [linux-usb-devel] Behavior of serial usb driver when unplugged

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 22:33:11 EST

I think that the fix to send tty_hangup when the USB-to-serial adapter is
disconnected really should go in (there was about a 2-line patch posted a
while ago to add this). The application I'm working on required this patch
in order to detect that the USB serial port it's talking to has been
disconnected from the machine - otherwise the behavior you get is rather
silly, if you're blocked on a read it never returns after the device was
unplugged, and writes return -ENODEV; basically if you don't write anything
there is no way whatsoever to detect that the port is gone. It sounds like
the poster's application is another where the current behavior of the USB
serial driver makes things a real pain..