Re: Some thoughts about cache and swap

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 20:51:45 EST

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Wed, 9 June 2004 15:32:41 -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> >
> > Haven't seen many of those, to be honest. The majority
> > of the VM problems I get to see are people running a
> > workload the kernel didn't expect - a workload the kernel
> > wasn't prepared to handle...
>
> Is there a list of those different workloads somewhere? And I don't
> mean in your head. ;)

That's the point. If there was such a list, we could put
appropriate kludges in place for all of them.

> All I notive in my personal use is the cache flushing effect from
> use-once data. If that was the whole list, it should be easy enough to
> fix.

I wish it were that easy. Users keep surprising us with
new and unexpected workloads, though.

Part of it is that every time Linux is improved, people are
encouraged to try out stranger, newer, heavier workloads ;)