Re: [ANNOUNCE] high-res-timers patches for 2.6.6

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 09:07:20 EST

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 03:33:38PM -0700, George Anzinger wrote:
> Can I be so bold as to ask about the changed to the timer list code?
> Assuming we scrapped all the ifdefs, that is.

I wonder what kind of resolution is needed. I'd love for timers to just be
in "absolute time" using some fixed point arith, and then when the timer
queue gets run you look at the current time and run all the ones that
expired so far. That way you can make the HZ timer irq run this list, but if
it's cheap enough and you then want higher accuracy, also the RTC clock, and
potentially even some oddball thing like the idle loop or network interrupts
for network timers, or video vsync irqs or .. or ..