Re: kbuild make deb patch

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 03:38:10 EST

On Sun, 2004-06-13 08:19:57 +0200, Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <20040613061957.GA3012@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:21:41PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-06-08 23:08:46 +0200, Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote in message <20040608210846.GA5216@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 04:13:53PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > > I'm in progress of doing some infrastructure work to better support building
> > > different packages. I have requests for .tar.gz, tar.gz2 as well
> > > as deb.
> >
> > (Being a Debian user...) I really *love* to see a .tar.{gz,bz2} target.
> > For my in-house use (as well in in the company I work for) we do have a
> > script to basically install modules (+ vmlinuz + vmlinux + .config +
> > System.map), adding some identifier to the filenames (of the last four
> > files mentioned) and preparing a .tar.gz from that.
>
> Could you try to be more specific in what you expect to see in a .tar.gz'ed kernel.
> A script that creates a .tar.gz from current kernel would be fine :-)

I'd expect something that you can extract with:

~# cd /
/# tar xzf /path/to/kernel.tar.gz --no-same-owner

That tar file should contain:

./boot/vmlinux-<version> # unstripped vmlinux file for debugging
./boot/vmlinuz-<version> # bootable file - non-i386 archs obviously
# need different files
./boot/System.map-<version> # Map file for 'ps' and for me
./boot/config-<version> # To recreate the kernel
./boot/patch-<version> # Only if it was requested at .tar.gz
# build time, containing a -Nurp style
# diff to a clean source tree (which
# needs to be specified then)
./lib/modules/<kversion>/* # Modules

The tricky part is the <version> and/or <kversion> part. For my personal
use, version is like kversion, but extended with whatever the user
specified. kversion is Makefile's $(KERNELRELEASE).

As I stated, it's clumsy at ./lib/modules/<kversion>/*, because you'll
probably overwrite other modules of the same kernel version with a
different(ly compiled) .tar.gz . The tarball's name should exactly
contain <version> in it's name so that a script that extracts is can
place a proper symlink within ./boot easily.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg