Re: upcalls from kernel code to user space daemons

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 17:24:35 EST

Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 23:57, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Oliver Neukum wrote:
>
> > > userspace daemon loops on ioctl()
> > > kernel portion of ioctl call goes to sleep until something to do
> > > when needed, fill in data and return to userspace
> > > userspace does stuff, then passes data back down via ioctl()
> > > ioctl() puts userspace back to sleep and continues on with other work
> >
> > You could just as well implement an ordinary read()
>
> Not quite. The userspace is passing data down as well. I don't know how you'd
> do that with read().

For this you use write().

And you eat another syscall per userspace call. For the ioctl() case, you only need to issue a single call to ioctl(). You pass the result of the previous request down, and then when it returns you get the data for the next request.

Although I have to admit it's not pretty, and the performance improvements may not be worth the obfuscation of the code.

Chris