Re: ieee1394 still utterly broken in 2.6.7-rc3

From: Hans Solo
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 13:29:51 EST

Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:53:54PM +0200, Felix von Leitner wrote:
>>
>> It's an Athlon mainboard with VIA chipset.
>
> Is firewire built-in to the kernel? I haven't seen any of these problems
> _at all_, but I use modules. I have a 250gig firewire disk that is used
> for nightly backups for 5 systems via rsync and ssh, and it never shows
> any problems.

I have a similar setup here; 250Gb on an Oxford922 doing nightly
backups via rsync. Athlon mainboard with VIA chipset. ieee1394,
ohci1394, sbp2 as modules. I get seemingly random crashes that
freeze the system solid, no oopses. Sometimes I get a few of these:

Jun 13 06:12:14 chewbaka kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command
Jun 13 06:12:14 chewbaka kernel: Write (10) 00 00 89 4c 33 00 00 08 00

but I can't decide if this is related.

If I unplugg the drive and then re-plugg it, the failure is
easiy reproduced with some heavy disk activity (copying a file-
system to the firewire disk for example).

Any idea about where to start looking? I have tried various
options for sbp2 in /etc/modprobe.conf. Let me know if you
want my .config etc.

Thanks,

Hans

/\ - against microsoft attachments