Re: RSA

From: Serge E. Hallyn
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 18:57:02 EST

(repeating a privately posted question for all to respond)

Is a separate generic assymetric crypto API really necessary?

The cryptoapi usage model is to do a setkey before any encrypt or decrypt.
The setkey will be done with either a public or private key. So there is no
need to have a public_key_alg with separate public_encrypt and
private_encrypt functions, as this distinction is implied at the setkey
time. So our plan was to just add another crypto_alg for rsa_1024.

If anyone can point out why this is insufficient, then we will certainly
reconsider.

thanks,
-serge

Quoting James Morris (jmorris@xxxxxxxxxx):