Re: [Announce] Non Invasive Kernel Monitor for threads/processes

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 09:39:14 EST

Sabharwal, Atul wrote:

How does auditing work in the event of a process failure ? There would
be
no system call triggered in that case. Also, my initial thoughts are
that the non-invasive Kmonitor is lesser performance impact when
compared
to auditing. I would spend some time developing sample code to confirm
it.

Just to put in my $.02. We developed a very simple (even simpler than Kmonitor in that it didn't track fork/exec) way for a process to get notified when other processes exited (properly or otherwise). We want to use this in the field for a lifecycle monitoring function (a sort of super-init) so it needs to be as lightweight as possible. I'd love to be able to use something from the mainline kernel, but it has to be field-runnable without slowing stuff down.

Chris