Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] accelerated radeonfb produces artifacts on scrolling in 2.6.7

From: David Eger
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 13:44:10 EST

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:24:15PM +0200, Jurriaan wrote:
> The radeonfb driver in 2.6.7 produces some interesting artifacts on
> scrolling, both scrolling horizontally and vertically.

The corruption you are talking about is, I believe, caused by a couple of things:

(1) we're not issuing enough fifo_wait()'s around our accel engine
and pan register writes.
(2) there's some disconnect between writing to fb memory, panning, and
copyarea()/fillrect() calls

I sent a hack of a fix for this to Ben a week ago, adding a call to radeonfb_sync()
at the end of radeonfb_copyarea() and radeonfb_fillrect(). This seems to fix the
problem for me, but you *shouldn't* have to do this.

I haven't tracked it any further than this. My next guess would be auditing register
writes and making sure there are enough fifo_wait()'s...

-dte