Re: PATCH: Further aacraid work

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 09:04:02 EST

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 08:53:36AM -0400, Salyzyn, Mark wrote:
> available. Since the scsi layer has a propensity to provide sequentially
> decreasing pages (sequentially increasing would permit coalescing of SG
> elements) for the SG elements, we find that there is an average SG
> element size of 4K.

That ought to be a case of flipping the way the kernel hands out pages.
I've always wondered why we get them often in reverse order but never
sat down and worked it out

> more than 4G of memory; however we *are* having troubles specifically
> with AMD64 systems with more than 4G of memory in 2.6 kernels (the issue
> does not occur on 2.4 kernels). I have yet to investigate why this
> specific problem exists.

The AMD64 is a little unusual in that it has an IO MMU, so requests for
mappings that are physically high memory, not easy to merge, etc can
be made to appear in a convenient order lower down in memory. Thus
asking to map memory at virtual addresses above 4Gb probably hands back
a PCI address around 3.5Gb. That mapping will also vanish (gone forever
and the PCI address will show other data instead) when you unmap it.