Re: more files with licenses that aren't GPL-compatible

From: Flavio Stanchina
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 15:46:50 EST

Kyle Moffett wrote:
If someone distributes _on_their_own_ (site, CDs, whatever) copies
of Linux with their copyrighted code in it, or contributes copyrighted
code _that_they_own_, they are giving someone a license to use
against them. That is actually one of the difficulties SCO is facing
right now in court; _they_ distributed copies of Linux _including_ any
code that they may claim is copyrighted. Since they have the right to
license such code, any license that appears to be associated with it
when they distribute it becomes valid even if it was not before. If you
distribute a copy of Linux under the GPL that contains code you
claim is violating your copyright, then I don't believe you have a leg
to stand on, legally.

Your argument applies to the SCO case because their code (if there is any, which nobody but SCO still believes is the case) did *not* have a license attached to it that didn't allow modification, redistribution or whatever else the GPL requires; otherwise they wouldn't have trouble demonstrating which code it is they're talking about. So any sane person would understand that they knowingly released it under the GPL: if they'll try to argue that they didn't know the kernel was covered by the GPL, I don't think the judge will go for much less than capital punishment when he stops laughing.

In this case, if I followed the discussion correctly, there are files and binary blobs in the kernel whose license explicitly disallows some of the freedoms the GPL grants. So they *have* to get out of the kernel proper *now*, period. There is no other choice, legally.

Once those files and stuff are out of the kernel, we can think of a solution that works from both a technical and a legal perspective, such as loading firmware from external files (which users will have to download themselves from vendors' sites -- we can't distribute them in any form if they don't change the license). Modules under a non-GPL license are a different can of worms: many people believe they are violating the GPL even if they remain outside of the kernel proper because they are obviously a derivative work of the kernel. So far AFAIK nobody sued NVidia, ATI or anyone else for distributing non-GPL modules, but they can _not_ stay in the kernel. I wonder how and why they were accepted in the first place.

--
Ciao, Flavio