Re: Backlight and LCD module patches [1]

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 17:07:53 EST

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:55:04AM +0400, Andrew Zabolotny wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:47:39 -0700
> Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So no, I'm not going to accept this, you need to change your lcd code to
> > pass around pointers to the proper structures, instead of trying to rely
> > on the name of a device. Because of this, I'm not going to apply your
> > second patch.
> I think you missed something. It doesn't rely on the name of the device while
> registering/unregistering, I've changed this, look:

No, I saw your change.

> extern int lcd_device_register(const char *name, void *devdata,
> struct lcd_properties *lp,
> struct lcd_device **alloc_ld);

That function should be:
struct lcd_device lcd_device_register(const char *name, void *devdata,
struct lcd_properties *lp);

instead. Then return an ERR_PTR() if you have an error.

> Now this:
>
> extern struct lcd_device *lcd_device_find(const char *name);
>
> It needs a char* argument because there's no other easy way to find the
> correspondence between framebuffer devices and lcd/backlight devices
> corresponding to that framebuffer device.

Then you need to have a way to corrispond those devices together,
becides just a name. Use the pointer that you have provided to link
them together some way.

thanks,

greg k-h