SATA 3112 errors on 2.6.7

From: Eric Buddington
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 18:39:12 EST

Kind people,

I believe this bug has been reported previously, but I will risk
repetition. (c.f. http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/5/22/124 and
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0404.0/0736.html)

Partial hardware list:

Athlon 950
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host (rev 02)
00:0e.0 RAID bus controller: CMD Technology Inc: Unknown device 3112 (rev 02)
00:0f.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
00:0f.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)

I mention the bttv card, since it generates a lot of PCI traffic and
may tax the system a bit.

Under kernels 2.6.6-mm5 and 2.6.7, I get the following errors after a
few hours or days (no obvious trigger or pattern), which hang most of
the machine (Alt-SysRq still works, machine still pings, but shells
and sshd2 freeze):

----------------------------
ata1: DMA timeout, stat 0x1
ATA: abnormal status 0x58 on port 0xCF819087
scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 03 ca 47 00 00 00 00
Current sda: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 248391
ATA: abnormal status 0x58 on port 0xCF819087
ATA: abnormal status 0x58 on port 0xCF819087
ATA: abnormal status 0x58 on port 0xCF819087

Reiserfsck and badblocks both report that everything is just ducky
(though reiserfs replays some transactions on reboot, of course). The
freeze has happened about half a dozen times so far.

I am willing to test patches and report back. I will try moving the
SATA card to another slot in the meantime (as it was sharing an
interrupt with an (idle) audio card).

Eric Buddington