Re: Stop the Linux kernel madness

From: 4Front Technologies
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 20:03:08 EST

viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:09:17PM -0700, 4Front Technologies wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am writing this message to bring a huge problem to light. SuSE has been systematically
forking the linux kernel and shipping all kinds of modifications and still call their
kernels 2.6.5 (for example).

Either they ship the stock Linux kernel sources or they stop calling their distributions
as Linux-2.6.x based.

Kernel headers are being changed willy-nilly and SuSE are completely running rough-shod
over the linux kernel with the result ONLY software from SuSE works.

"Software" == "3rd-party kernel modules" in this case, right?

Remember what had been told to you about in-kernel interfaces? That's
right, that they can be changed at zero notice. Now, if SuSE told you
otherwise, you might have a cause to complain. Had they?

If they'd promised in-kernel interface stability and lied - sure, go ahead
and nail them to the wall. If not - STFU and eat what you are bloody given.

Al, not particulary fond of SuSE, but even less so - of misdirecting wankers
like that...

That's right Al, 4Front, ATI, Nvidia are all evil!. OK so now get on with life.

It's time everybody started to pay some attention to in-kernel interfaces because
Linux has graduated out of your personal sandbox to where other people want to use
Linux and they aren't kernel developers.

Sure we can fix the problem with SuSE - we've been doing this for the past 7 years.
And we know a thing or two about Linux kernels but wouldn't it be better for the
Linux community in general to have such source issue stabilized?

best regards

Dev Mazumdar