Re: [BUG] 2.6.x ALSA sound is pretty broken

From: Hetfield
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 09:15:15 EST

Il ven, 2004-06-18 alle 16:03, Hetfield ha scritto:
> i've got hard problems with sound in all 2.6.x, even 2.6.7 kernels.
>
> with 2.4.2x or windows i've got no problems, so i'm sure it's kernel and
> not hardware related.
>
> the problem is that sound jumps, flickers and isn't good when harddisk
> reads lots of data (i mean not 1-2mb but 60-100mb and more)
>
> i checked irq and there is not conflict, i setted a higher and lower
> value of latency and nothing changed.
>
> i've the same problems since 2.6.0 kernels. Vanilla and Gentoo too.
> I've tried lots of solutions, like disabling preemptile kernel, adding
> alsa and oss, only oss, only alsa, as module or built-in.
> nothing changes.
>
> my audio card is a Creative SB PCI128, found by linux as
>

> 0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI] (rev
> 01)
> Subsystem: Unknown device 4942:4c4c
> Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
> I/O ports at b000
>
> while on Windows i use es1371/3 drivers.
> however with 2.4.x i always used es1370 alsa module without problems.
> When harddisk is sleeping sound is normally good.
>
> Thanks for support
>
> -
i forgot to say that some applications doesn't work properly

example: "beep" when i execute beep i hear no sounds, neither from speakers (audio card)
nor from internal pc speaker.

in kde environment kconsole doesn't beep too.
mplayer seems to have some problem using the alsa output, giving strange messages.
(using oss emulation works good, with the only bad sound quality problem)

xmms with alsa plugin works good without any warning or problem.