Re: SATA 3112 errors on 2.6.7

From: Ricky Beam
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 11:37:57 EST

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>>>Current sda: sense key Medium Error
>
>>There's likely nothing wrong with your drives. Something about that
>>driver and the hardware aren't playing nice.
>
>What does the drive's SMART error log report?

No errors.

>I would consider swapping the power supply. Last year I had *four* 120 GB
>drives fail on me before I changed the thing. Zero problems since.

Moral: stop buying crappy power supplies. :-)

My power supply is fine. If the PS were at fault, the same thing would
be happening all the time, not just when linux tries to throw 200 sectors
at a time at the drives. Windows has been stressing these drives far more
than linux and there's been zero idication of any problems. As I said,
writing in O_DIRECT mode to the array @ _35MB/s_ never reports a DMA
timeout -- I'll start increasing the buffer size to see where the cracking
point is.

--Ricky