Re: DMA API issues

From: Ian Molton
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 13:43:53 EST

On 18 Jun 2004 13:20:43 -0500
James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Erm, well this isn't unusual. A lot of devices have on board memory
> to offload accesses to. All the later Symbios SCSI chips for
> instance. If you look at the drivers, you'll see they ioremap the
> region and then use it via the normal memory accessors.

Thats all well and good for devices which have their own drivers, but
thats not the case always.

the device I described is an OHCI controller, and in theory, it should
be able to use the OHCI driver in the kernel without any modification,
*as long as* the DMA API returns valid device and virtual addresses,
which, at present, it does not.