Re: Iptables-1.2.9/10 compile failure with linux 2.6.7 headers

From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 13:48:53 EST

Andrew Walrond wrote:
On Friday 18 Jun 2004 17:56, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:

However, isn't that supposed to be filed with iptables (@netfilter.org)?

My original mail was addressed to netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and cc'ed to lkml
What can I say :-| NB to myself: Kalin, _DO_ read Subject, To, CC for all post in LKML
Sorry.

So, I was poking around for the last hour or so and found quite a few things.
It seems that most people prefer to build iptables against linux-headers supplied by their distribution and not the running kernel. I agreed on that. Although a few distributions may lag behind updating linux-headers, it should be the preferred way as it is stable.

I just downloaded and compiled iptables-1.2.10 against my system headers using `make KERNEL_DIR=/usr` (haven't actually run it, but it should work).

Well of course if you want the latest-and-greatest extensions, you might try to compile against your running kernel, but you are on your own (with help from netfilter.org).

Kalin.