Re: Stop the Linux kernel madness

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 14:45:19 EST

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:12:34 PDT, 4Front Technologies said:

> We precisely use this mechanism - we use
> /lib/modules/<version>/build/include/linux/config.h to figure such features out
> but when the "build" part of the path doesn't point to the right source tree,
> where do you look?. SuSE ships kernel sources "unconfigured" which means that
> you have to rely on something else to tell you what the exact kernel
> configuration looks like.

Right, but hopefully you can tell it's a SuSE machine via other means, and
then apply a suitable workaround.

Or are you claiming that SuSE is *so* weird that you can't even apply a
test like:

if [ -test $SuSE ]; then
echo Smells like a SuSE box - which of the following best describes your box?
i=1
for foo in ($likely_dirs) do;
echo ${i}: $foo
i=`expr $i + 1`