Re: Stop the Linux kernel madness

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 16:57:58 EST

On Jun 18, 2004, at 16:31, Hannu Savolainen wrote:
A minor correction. We have not contributed much recently (if not counting
few minor patches that have been rejected). However the oldest layers
(until 1996/1997) of the kernel OSS drivers are mostly our work.

Ahh, my apologies then. I am sincerely sorry for any offense I may have caused.

you've done is demand things of the LKML, but why should we listen to
your demands instead of our own.
It depends on if you are developing just for yourself and few of your
friends. However if you like your work being used by majority of computer
users then it would be a good idea to listen all kind of input. Even
input you don't like to hear.

The original poster did not provide a specific set of issues that needed to be
resolved, they just posted a very messy email with several statements that
didn't make sense. Even later, when they were asked what issues they were
having, they just dodged the question. Then the email that I responded to
had the attitude of "You guys are only here to fix my problems," which is
totally unacceptable.

Besides, a lack of
organization is
sometimes a good thing. (See _The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar_:
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ >).
Lack of organization is good thing in the right place. However lack of
standardization in a wrong place is not good. For example the ls command
cannot be renamed to "dir", "stat", "list-files" or anything else.

Well of course! I said "lack of organization is _sometimes_ a good thing." I
agree wholeheartedly. And I'd actually rather not have ls named "dir", cause
I'd rather avoid my painful DOS memories. :-D

Equally well it's going to be usefull to have a standardized command (say
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/scripts/kbuild /my/source/directory) rather
than having different make commands required by each Linux distribution.
Nothing prevents the distribution maintainers from optimizing that command
in a way they like as long as the usage remains the same.

Ahh, see, from the original poster's comments it was not apparent that their
problem was the lack of a standardized build system. In any case, the
primary problem is the lack of a configured kernel source tree. My advice
to them is to just use the standard module building mechanism:
1) User decides that he/she wants a module
2) User cd's to wherever his/her kernel source tree is
3) User runs "make-kpkg" or whatever his/her distro's kernel tool is.
4) User installs the package generated.

It seems to me that there should not be an automated kernel or module build
procedure. Either the user knows what they're doing, is following directions
over the phone from somebody who knows what their doing, or has no clue.
The users that have no clue should probably not be trying to compile their
own modules anyway.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett