Re: Stop the Linux kernel madness

From: Jari Ruusu
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 11:59:54 EST

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> It looks like SuSE as the first distribution took the sane approach to
> seperate source and output files.

Splitting source and object directories is indeed sane. But SUSE
implementation broke the 'build' symlink which has been the recommended way
for a long time to get to the main kernel Makefile directory.

> I presume they have documented this somewhere - and I have a patch
> from Andreas G. that should actually solve this if a module is
> compiled in the usual way like you do.

I have asked you n times to refrain from merging the 'build' symlink
breakage. I ask you again to not merge that breakage.

Please merge the 'object' symlink version instead.

> So you seems to be bitten by a distributor starting to use a new
> facility in kbuild.

SUSE folks made a silly mistake and broke stuff. It was even more silly for
them to try to submit that breakage to mainline.

--
Jari Ruusu 1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9 DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD