Re: SATA 3112 errors on 2.6.7

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 15:20:35 EST

R. J. Wysocki wrote:
On Saturday 19 of June 2004 01:06, Ricky Beam wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, R. J. Wysocki wrote:

Are your drives out of Seagate, maybe? If not, what make are they?

(As I said in a previous email...) 4 x Seagate ST3160023AS's RAID0'd
together in a BIOS "raid" mode compatable manner.

Sorry, I should have noticed.

Anyway, it looks like a pattern is forming which smells bad to me.

Apparently, we have:
1) A serious error condition that occurs on Seagate SATA drives connected to Silicon Image controllers.
2) As of today we can say that it only occurs on Seagate drives (Ricky, do I remember correctly that you see faulty behavior of such drives with a 3ware RAID?).
3) The error is reported by the kernel like that:

I wonder if it helps to add the Seagate drive to the sata_sil blacklist?

/* TODO firmware versions should be added - eric */
struct sil_drivelist {
const char * product;
unsigned int quirk;
} sil_blacklist [] = {
{ "ST320012AS", SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE },
{ "ST330013AS", SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE },
{ "ST340017AS", SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE },
{ "ST360015AS", SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE },
{ "ST380023AS", SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE },
{ "ST3120023AS", SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE },
[...]