Re: Stop the Linux kernel madness

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 13:53:18 EST

Matthias Andree wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Ryan Anderson wrote:

What do I need commercial OSS for after all when Alsa works well for me?

Well, for what it's worth, there are a few devices out there for which
there is no open source driver:
0000:02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value]
EMU10k1X
(Dell Dimension 2100, *I think* - it's at work right, and I'm not)

I believe 4Front provides the only driver for that specific device (it's
a crippled EMU10k1, probably what could be called a "WinSoundchip")

So what? If the mutilated hardware requires a commercial driver one
might as well spend the third-party driver cost on better hardware.

The beauty of FOSS is that people have a *choice* of where to spend their money. If you prefer an o/s which limits your choices there is one... upgrade the hardware is not always a choice, not all Linux systems are PCs, even the Intel-based systems.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)