Re: Forcedeth driver bug

From: Mikael Bouillot
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 11:26:16 EST

> Are you sure both come back? If so, what does dmesg say during this time?
> Is the system in question under heavy load?
>
> Can you confirm that the ping packet got stuck in the receive path or
> could the associated pong reply have gotten stuck in the send path?

A tcpdump at the remote end shows the packet leaving, but a tcpdump at
the local side doesn't show it until the next packet arrives. I tried
this on a system running nothing but tcpdump, but the network load is
high (ping sends packets as soon as the previous reply comes back).

> It could be a weird interaction with interrupt mitigation, but I doubt it.
> Nobody has ever mailed me about such problems with the driver.

Another note: I run my 2.6.7 with Local APIC and IO-APIC. Maybe that
has to do with interrupt problems. I will try reverting to the older PIC
during further testing to see if that has an effect on things.

> forcedeth_gigabit_try19.txt is the most recent one.
> Changes against try17:
> - fix compilation warnings and rename the Kconfig entry
>
> Get it at
> http://www.hailfinger.org/carldani/linux/patches/forcedeth/
> and please report if it fixes your problem.

OK, I'll do that.