Re: Alphabet of kernel source

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 17:05:29 EST

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 02:06:28PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> Anyhow, long story short, this got me thinking... What is the charset
> and the encoding of the actual source? I saw quite a discussion about
> the filenames, but this is different. I am sorry if this was discussed
> previously.

This has come up repeatedly. As far as I recall, Linus has never said
anything. The de facto situation can be seen by just inspecting the
MAINTAINERS file. Kai Makisara has a diaeresis on the first vowel of
his last name. Today (2.6.6) that is still coded in ISO 8859-1.

In old discussions people who disliked 8859-1 expressed strong preference
for plain ASCII (possibly with TeX-like escape sequences for non-ASCII).
These days it seems that, if anything is changed, the only reasonable action
would be to switch to UTF-8.

Andries