RE: what is up with lib64?

From: Sid Boyce
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 20:46:40 EST

Cyrus Adkisson wrote:
> Can someone explain to me why x86_64 has lib64 directories and how lib64 is supposed to work with the lib directories that are > already there? I'm having a very difficult time getting anything to compile from source.
>
> FC2, dual x86_64
lib is for 32-bit and lib64 is for 64-bit obviously. Build success here is about 50%, a few build but won't run, segfaults etc.
The configure script in some apps needs the option --libdir=/usr/lib64 e.g. there is also a /lib64 and /usr/X11R6/lib64. Some apps will configure and build without the need to adjust options. Some others will not build as distributed, e.g kmymoney which keeps looking in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64. There are yet others like slmodem that contain a 32-bit proprietary module for 2.4.x that will not be compatible with 2.6.x kernel sources.
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
===== LINUX ONLY USED HERE =====