Re: 2.6.7-mm2

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 13:03:05 EST

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:04:30 +0200, Roman Zippel said:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jari Ruusu wrote:
>
> > This breaks existing recommended syntax for external modules, because the
> > mini Makefile in object directory always provides O= even in cases where
> > calling code specified its own object directory:
> >
> > make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build modules M=`pwd` O=/foo
>
> Where is this recommended? How do you know that "/foo" is better directory
> on a random system?

I think Jari's point is that it's providing O=/something *even* when the
calling code *DOES* know that /foo is a better directory, so when you pass it
O=/foo because you know it's The Right Thing for Your Particular Random System,
it gets overridden.

Either that, or I need to find more caffeine, and re-parse what Jari wrote... ;)