Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-libc-headers 2.6.7.0

From: Martin Waitz
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 04:27:30 EST

hi :)

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 06:43:56PM +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> > HPA suggested include/abi and I don't think anyone objected.

well, include/abi looks very generic. For userspace code, I really
like to have 'linux' in the include file name, so that it's clear that
some linux-specific header is being used.

> /usr/include/abi -> linux/include/abi
> /usr/include/linux -> abi (obsolete, to be removed with 2.8)
> Appropriate $ARCH + generic dirs (names?).

what about keeping /usr/include/linux for the userspace visible part
of the linux headers and using a new name for the internal headers.
That way we don't have to change userspace applications and can
do all modifications in the kernel tree at the time we want.

For example:

* mkdir include/kernel (plus arch-specific versions)
* add placeholer files that simply #include the old include/linux file
* start replacing in-kernel #includes with the include/kernel version.
* move the #ifdef __KERNEL__ parts from include/linux to include/kernel

This can be done incrementally, too.

--
Martin Waitz