Re: Elastic Quota File System (EQFS)

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 09:47:42 EST

"Amit Gud" <gud@xxxxxxx> said:

[...]

> Also this is applicable to mailboxes - automize the marking of old mails of
> the mailing list as elastic, whenever the threshold is reached, you might
> either want to put those mails as compressed archive or simply delete it.

Right. And which to do is a policy decision, left to the individual owner
of this particular file or collection of files. Democracy at work ;-)

> This has two advantages:
> - No email bounces for the reason of 'mailbox full' and

It will fill up eventually...

> - Optimized utlization of the mailbox

> Yes, this can be done using scripts too,

Having the system fool around with my mail because you get too much junk
and can't be bothered to delete it is what I'd consider an hostile act.

Case closed, anyway. It belongs in the kernel only if there is no
reasonable way to do it in userspace.