Re: Elastic Quota File System (EQFS)

From: Fao, Sean
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 16:38:09 EST

Amit Gud wrote:

Fao, Sean wrote:

Amit Gud wrote:

It cannot be denied that there _are_ applications for such a system that we already discussed and theres a class of users who will find the system useful.

I personally see no use whatsoever. Why not just allocate 100% of the file system to everybody and ignore quota's, entirely? Each user will use whatever he/she requires and when space starts to run out, users will manually clean up what they don't need.

We should get our basics right first. We _do_ need quotas!! Without any quota system how are we going to avoid a malicious user from taking away all the space to keep other people starving? In EQFS also this can happen, but we are giving *controlled flexibility* to the user. He is having some stretching power but not beyond a certain limit. And do you think users are sincere enough to clean up there files when they are done?

And I suppose you think that users will be sincere enough to mark files as elastic? I, for one, already said that I absolutely would *not* mark a single file as elastic. If I'm using 110 MB and you need an additional 10 MB for storage, you won't be getting it from me because I don't want to come in some morning to find that a file has disappeared.

The system that you're asking for is a system without quotas. Think about what you're saying.

I am totally against the automatic deletion of files and believe that all users will _eventually_ walk in on a Monday morning to find out that the OS took it upon itself to delete a file that was flagged as elastic, that shouldn't have been.

User is the king, he decides what files should be elastic and what not. This can always be controlled.

Controlled how? Who is anybody to inform me of what files I need/don't need?

Sean