Re: Process in D state with USB and swsuspsp

From: Rob Landley
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 03:53:21 EST

On Sunday 27 June 2004 00:31, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > As I said, I realise that unplugging even a USB adapter with the machine
> > is suspended is Not A Good Thing. But it's likely to be a common thing
> > among people who can't figure out after the fact "oh yeah, that's what's
> > going wrong"...
>
> Most of us that use swsusp regularly have our pre-suspend script unload usb
> before suspend to prevent exactly this sort of behaviour.
> I also unload PCMCIA.
>
> If there is something using these devices that prevents unloading, then my
> script notifies me that I'm doing something I need to stop before I
> suspend. Can't remember the last time that happened though.
>
> Check out the swsusp-devel list for further info.

Yeah, I could, I just don't use USB enough. My suspend script is now stripped
down to the point where the only thing I do is run dhclient afterwards (and
that's mostly because it seems to be too stupid to notice the timeout's
elapsed. Persumably it should have some kind of trigger if the wireless
access point toggles...)

It's just that a hot-pluggable bus, it should be possible to convince the
thing to reprobe all devices on a bus reset. Oh well.

Maybe a todo item for 2.7...

Rob

--
www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas. (I'm the con chair.)